City of Zion ESDA
Originally founded as the Zion Civil Defense Agency, the name has changed but the goals have remained the same, to prepare the City of Zion and its residents to cope with any disaster or emergency that may arise. By ordinance, the City of Zion’s Emergency Services and Disaster Agency (ESDA) shall perform such functions within the city as shall be prescribed in and by the state emergency management agency plan and program prepared by the governor, and such orders, rules and regulations as may be promulgated by the governor, and in addition shall perform such duties outside the corporate limits as may be required pursuant to any mutual aid agreement with any other political subdivision within this state entered into as provided by the Illinois Emergency Management Agency Act (Ill. Rev. Stat. ch. 127, § 1051 et seq.).
In addition to assisting with disasters, The City of Zion ESDA is an integral part of the City of Zion’s operations by assisting the City in a variety of functions. These functions include, but are not limited to:
- Traffic control operations for City events such as Nostalgia Days, July 4th Fireworks and the Jubilee Day Parade.
- Traffic control during emergency situations where roads must be closed due to accidents, utility incidents, debris removal following a severe storm, flooded roads and more.
- Providing scene lighting units that can be used to assist the police or fire departments after dark while they conduct investigations or provide emergency work related to an incident.
- Providing limited rehab services to police and fire crews during extended operations.
- Functioning as weather spotters and deploying to observe and report on storm activity.
- Maintain and test the City’s four Outdoor Warning Sirens. The sirens are tested the first Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m.
Emergency Preparedness Resources
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Lake County Emergency Management Agency
Preparing for Disasters in Your Home
Emergency Preparedness for Seniors
Ultimate Guide to Disaster Preparedness
Mary Lou Hiltibran
ESDA Field Director
Phone: (847) 872-5511
Fire Chief/ESDA Coordinator
Phone: (847) 746-4042