The City of Zion provides animal control services for domesticated animals. These services are provided in order to protect the health, safety, and welfare of people and pets within the City of Zion.
Animal Control patrols for loose dogs and cats, and is dispatched for various calls related to domestic animals.
General Information regarding pet owner’s responsibilities;
- Keep your dog’s or cat’s rabies vaccination and license current. Pet licenses must be obtained annually
- Pets must wear a collar with current rabies vaccination tag at all times.
- Keep your dog leashed when off your property
- Always carry equipment sufficient to clean-up your dog or cat’s feces whenever you and your pet are off your property
- Do not allow your dog or cat to defecate on any property, public or private (except your own property), unless you immediately remove and properly dispose of the waste
- Do not allow your dog or cat to trespass on public or private property or run at large, unleashed or unattended
- Do not confine your dog or cat in a vehicle in extreme (hot or cold) weather
- Never allow your dog to intimidate, attack or threaten another person or pet
*Pet owner’s should always educate themselves on the laws and regulations of state, county, and local municipalities.
Animal Impound Procedures:
- All stray or lost animals collected by Zion Animal Control are held for a minimum of 3 days at the Zion animal facility. After that period, they are taken to The Orphans of The Storm Adoption Agency located in Riverwoods, Illinois.
- All animals are checked for microchip and rabies tag and effort is made to contact owners as soon as possible.
- Lost pet recovery is available Mon. thru Fri. (Please call for an appointment to meet with an Officer.) The facility is closed Sat. and Sun., all observed holidays and the day after Thanksgiving.
*There may be a nominal charge due for the impounded care and feeding of your pet, payable at the time of retrieval.
Top Five Violations the Zion Animal Warden responds to:
- Running at Large
- Control of Defecation
- Inoculation Against Rabies
- Biting and Attacking
- Disturbing the Quiet
Fines for these citations start at $25 for 1st offense, per citation ($100 for 2nd offenses and $200 for 3rd offenses)
$20 fee per animal. (Animal will be taken to The Orphans of The Storm Adoption Agency.)
The placement of traps, when provided by Zion Animal Control, is for the capture of dogs and cats only. For the capture of wild life, contact information can be provided and is a “fee for hire” service between the citizen and the provider.
Please be responsible animal owners, and treat pets with respect and proper care.
Animal Control Office – phone: 847-746-4059 or Police Dispatch – phone: 847-872-8000
Helpful Link to Bats and Rabies Concerns