Education Requirements of Fire Fighters
- State Certified Fire Fighter II
- State Certification includes knowledge in 23 Subject areas including:
- Fire Department Orientation
- Self Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Building Construction
- Public Education
- Fire Cause
- Hazardous Materials
It includes classroom as well as hands on, practical training. The student must pass a state-administered test to receive certification from the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
- We do monthly training on fire related subjects:
- The College of Lake County offers an Associates Degree in Fire Science Technology
- Our personnel also take state certified training in many fire-related subjects
- Fire Apparatus Engineer
- Fire Instructor
- Fire Officer
- Fire Investigator
- Hazardous Materials Technician
- Public Safety Diver
- Roadway Extrication Specialist
Education Requirements of Paramedics
State Licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
All personnel must first attend Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) training and become state certified. Training in our area is provided at Zion Fire Rescue Department, Victory Memorial Hospital, or St. Therese Medical Center.
After certification as and EMT-B personnel must then attend Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic training and become state certified. Victory Memorial Hospital is our resource hospital and provides paramedic training for our department.
This includes such subjects as:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Intravenous Therapy
- Basic Trauma Life Support
- Our department trains monthly on paramedic skills
- In addition, Victory Memorial Hospital provides Continuing Education classes every other month. This helps us meet the state requirement of 30 hours of continuing education per year.
- We are also required to keep a current CPR card.