Ron Colangelo's Bio
Mr. Ron Colangelo is Director of the Department of Public Works and Engineering. Ron has been with the City of Zion since 1998.
He supervises a staff of 25 full-time employees providing general community services to the City's 24,000 residents.
Ron is responsible for the management of six operating divisions within the Department of Public Works. These operating divisions are Street Maintenance, Engineering, Water & Sewer, Administration, Public Service and Fleet Operations. Together these activities account for services on more than 140 miles of street, fifteen thousand parkway trees, and over 100 City owned vehicles, including Police and Fire apparatus and the city water and sewer systems.
Ron has been an area resident since 1973 and began his career in public works in 1987 with the Village of Winthrop Harbor. Ron previously worked in the Engineering Division for the North Shore Sanitary District prior to becoming part of the Engineering staff of the City of Zion in 1998.
After graduating from Zion-Benton High School he attended the College of Lake County and has continued his education in the public works field at the University
of Wisconsin-Madison, The Emergency Management Institute in Emmitsburg, Maryland and the Illinois Public Service Institute.
Ron has served on many various boards:
- Lake County Council of Mayors Executive and Transportation Committees 2008- Present
- Village of Winthrop Harbor, Board of Trustees from 1995 – 2005 with 8 years as Public Works Committee Chairman.
- Zion Benton High School Citizen’s Committee Executive Member in 2001.
- Veteran’s War Memorial Committee 2000-2001
- The North Point Marina Advisory Board 1995-1998
- Winthrop Recreation Board 1992-1995
He is a current member of the American Public Works Association.
Ron and his wife Kelly are the proud parents of two former Zee Bees, daughters Brittney and Alexa.