The City of Zion Board of Fire and Police Commissioners will begin the entry-level Firefighter/Paramedic testing process within the next few weeks. Applications will be available on-line at www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com on June 30, 2014. A $40.00 non-refundable application fee is required. The application includes the minimum requirements. Application deadline is 4:00 p.m. on August 25, 2014.
The written examination is scheduled for Saturday, September 27, 2014 at Zion Benton Township High School Horizon Campus, South Cafeteria. A mandatory orientation session is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. and the examination will begin immediately following. The date, time and location of the oral interviews are to be announced at a later date.
Criteria necessary for being awarded preference points is as follows: Veterans (5 points), Educational (2.5 points for Associate of Fire Science Degree and 5 points for Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline), Paramedic certification (5 points) , Experience (5 points), and Unique (5 points total – 2 points for FFII Basic, 2 points for FFIII Advanced, 1 point for Fire Apparatus Engineer).
To be placed on the eligibility list, a candidate’s score, prior to the application of preference points, must be at or above the median score on the Initial Eligibility Register. The purpose of this testing process is to enable the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners to prepare a Final Eligibility Register as required by State Statute.
The expiration of the Final Eligibility Register is two years from the date of certification following the application of preference points. There are currently no positions available in the Zion Fire/Rescue Department.
If you have any questions regarding this exam, please contact Diane at Zion City Hall at 847-746-4014.
The Zion Fire/Rescue Department is currently accepting applications for the position of firefighter. Applications are available at www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com until August 25, 2014. The application deadline is August 25, 2014 at 4 p.m. You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- $40 non-refundable application fee;
- U.S. Citizenship;
- High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED);
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) card and Ladder Climb Certification by date of written exam. CPAT cards and Ladder Climb Certificates considered valid if issued between 9/27/2013 and 9/27/2014. Licensed agencies listed below and on next page. Licensed CPAT/Approved Ladder Climb testing agencies:
- The minimum age at time of hire for the Zion Fire/Rescue Department shall be 21 years of age. The maximum age at the time of application is 34 years of age, unless exempt by statute;
- Successful completion of probation period after hire. MUST obtain Illinois Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter Certification, Illinois Paramedic License AND be registered with North Lake County EMS before the end of the probation period. Applicants who are certified Illinois paramedics at time of hire must successfully complete a 12-month probation period. Applicants who are NOT certified Illinois paramedics at time of hire are given up to 18 months probation in order to complete training.
Candidates who are eligible for preference points shall make a claim in writing with proof thereof within ten (10) days after the date of the eligibility list or such claim shall be waived. (5-Veteran, 2.5-Associate’s Degree in Fire Science, 5-Bachelor’s Degree, 5-Paramedic, up to 5-Experience, 2-FF II or Basic, 2- FF III or Advanced, 1-Fire Apparatus Engineer)
All portions of the testing process are mandatory. Failure to attend and complete any portion of the process will result in elimination from employment consideration.
Written Exam/Orientation Information:
Saturday, September 27, 2014
Zion-Benton Township High School
3901 21st Street
Zion, IL 60099
You are required to arrive at the testing location no later than 9:00 a.m. with photo identification (valid driver’s license or State ID) and valid CPAT/Ladder Climb to sign-in. NO LATE ADMITTANCE.